Tuesday, February 16, 2016

I'm not an athlete

I love talking to people about training for a triathlon. The thing I hear most is I did a triathlon, I swam in high school. My friend does triathlons, he ran in college.  Let me tell you what, I played golf in high school and I wasn't even that good!! I think they just let me on the team because they felt sorry for me.  I never swam on a team. I wasn't in cross country or track and I never rode a bike in a race. Well today I swam my 18 laps. It was a hard swin but I did it.  On Saturday I swam my 1/2 mile (18 laps) then I attempted a 2 mile run. I did this at the Y. I started out strong on the run then kinda pooped out. I walked some but I ran more than I walked.  This makes me think, Am I an athlete now?? I know I'm not a true Triathelete but can I call myself an athlete now?? I started swimming in September NEVER having swam before.  Now I can swim 18 laps.  I've tried running in the past but not consistently.  I've ridden a bike but not like this.  Am I an athlete???  Yea, I think I am.

1 comment:

  1. Uh, YES you're an athlete. FOR SURE. I had a conversation with David a few months ago where he was encouraging me to go to a sports medicine place to get my hip problem looked at. I said I couldn't go to that place because I'm not a REAL athlete. But he talked me into believing that I am. I AM. And so are you. All the training, obsessing about training, etc. etc. (you know what I'm talking about!) means we're athletes. Doesn't it feel great? :)

    ReplyDelete